Cal Trans Anticipating Weather Events

“When significant storms are forecasted by NOAA, we will be sending a 48-hour  traffic advisory to our Hwy. 1 group to be ready just in case the roadway needs to close due to an expected significant storm—this will allow prep work, stocking supplies, making plans, etc. At the 24-hour mark, we’ll send a traffic advisory either confirming or cancelling the full closure. This 48/24 hour notices apply only to Paul’s Slide and Mud Creek—each closure treated separately (two separate closures, one may open, the other may not, depending on assessment). We have Geotech, Maintenance and Construction lined up to inspect/clean up the following morning. There will be gates (being installed as we speak) both at Mud Creek and Paul’s Slide that will be locked, no padlocks. These gates will not be manned. No one, including Emergency Services or our own employees will be allowed to go through until a proper assessment can be made, any cleanup necessary done and the roadway safe to travel again.” (I requested this from Susana Cruz after the BSMAAC announcement by Sarah. A more formal public announcement will be made next week.) Thank you, Susana!

bigsurkate

Appointed appellate counsel for indigent defendants (retired.) I have lived in Big Sur since 1984, first on the north coast, and on the South Coast since 1989.

View Comments

  • Where will Geotech be traveling from? How long will that assessment take? PV School, situated between the two trouble spots and having students on both sides of those spots will be very interested to hear the finer details of the closure/opening of the gates.

    • I think all of us will be interested in those finer details. Little Phillie, you’ve driven through both, and you can see how unstable they are. I am sure I speak for most parents, if not all, that I don’t want my son driving through either of those locations with children if it is not absolutely safe. It is tough on the kids and tough on the school, for sure. The kicker is that the green bridge is also closed, so this could be a rough year, depending on how much rain we get.

      https://bigsurkate.blog

  • I am also curious as to where the people doing the assessment will be coming from and what kind of delay should be expected from the end of the weather event to the time the assessment personal arrive on site.

    In the interest of public safety I hope they can get the assessment done in a very timely fashion and reopen the road is possible. I understand there is liability involved, but once again I think they are putting possible liability before public safety.

    Yes, the area is unstable, but so is the rest of this coast. And we all know there will be times that the road will be clear but they will still have it closed for unnecessary amounts of time. It happened over and over during the winter of '16/'17. The road was completely clear of debris, but because of the "what ifs" the road remained closed.

    I do not live in the area that may be closed do have an invested interest in the safety of those that do and am not fully in agreement with the very conservative way they have and will be approaching this situation.

    • It will be a bear for the school with students on all sides of these things. In the past, tourists were not allowed on the coast at all in the winter. The road was simply closed to tourists. Granted, that was the 50s, but even in the 80s and 90s Cal Trans worked with locals to allow us to take our own risks and get through, even when visitors were not allowed. Now, there is no way to keep the visitors out if it is open for locals. It is an unfortunate set of circumstances for all of us who choose to make this our home. We are all stocking up again, and I just got a van I am outfitting for spending nights away from home, when required. And yes, we will all be praying for good health, no injuries, and no other emergencies, particularly since the green bridge is closed also.

      https://bigsurkate.blog

Share
Published by
bigsurkate

Recent Posts

Mud Creek realignment to begin Monday 10/5

Date:Thursday, October 1, 2026District:05 – Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo, Monterey, San Benito, and Santa Cruz…

4 hours ago

Full Overnight Closure of Highway One in Big Sur on Thursday, 10/8

Date:Thursday, October 1, 2026District:05 – Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo, Monterey, San Benito, and Santa Cruz…

5 hours ago

A message from Fr. Ignatius M. Tully, Prior of New Camaldoli Hermitage

Subject: An Update from New Camaldoli Dear Oblates, Friends and Members of the Camaldolese Family,…

13 hours ago

Big Sur River Run

Subject: Important Update — Big Sur River Run and Park Closure Dear Big Sur River…

1 day ago

Winter 2026-2027, El Niño, 9/29

From my favorite climate scientist, Dr. Daniel Swain, at weatherwest.com “There has been quite a…

2 days ago

Photo Sunday – Plaskett Aftermath, 9/27 (photos taken over the course of the last few days)

PLEASE; THE FOREST IS CLOSED. DO NOT ENTER. The land, the critters, and the people…

5 days ago

This website uses cookies.