STRs – Short Term Rentals, 12/14/17

Short Term Rentals are a controversial subject among residents in almost all communities. It is not an easy subject to discuss in many circumstances, as the opponents and supporters on each side tend to hold some strong feelings about the issue. One local attorney is exploring the idea of a voter’s referendum to determine the appropriateness of these commercial enterprises among local residential areas. Others claim this is an inappropriate avenue, given the Coast Commission’s position on STR. I will be covering this subject over the next few weeks and providing information as I can to help you decide for yourself what will work in your area.

First, is the position the Carmel Valley Association sent out today:

”CVA’s Position on Short Rentals

The Carmel Valley Association recognizes that short-term rentals have the potential to have negative impacts in residential areas, especially when unlimited, concentrated and unregulated. Control of STRs is necessary to ensure that they will be compatible with surrounding residential uses and will not harm or change the residential character of existing neighborhoods. Additionally, we are very concerned about ensuring that STRs do not further increase traffic on our over-burdened roads and intersections.

A review of local and non-local ordinances in other jurisdictions indicates that the following elements are critical to effectively control potential negative impacts of STR’s:
*Short-term rentals must have permits and be regulated.
*Rental properties must comply with zoning and building codes.
*Number of occupants must be limited and parking adequate, preferably on site.
*Safety and health codes must be maintained by periodic inspection.
*Wells and septic systems must be inspected, maintained and meet public health standards.
*Density of STRS must be limited in neighborhoods to control their residential character.
*Nuisances must be controlled (such as noise, lights).
*Rentals must be subject to the County’s Transient Occupancy Tax and initial fee must be paid in person directly to the County.
*Notice to, and approval by, neighbors of STRS must be required.. Permission of neighbors to use private road or shared driveway must be required.
*Owners/residents must live on site and be available and responsive.
*The ordinance must be enforced and adequate funds provided for that enforcement.”