Weather Report, 10/16/17-dry lightning Tues?

I hate posting 3 times in one day, but sometimes, events warrant it. Keep your eye on your local weather reports…this could get dicey tomorrow. Let’s hope it doesn’t. From NWS, Monterey:

”Updated the afternoon forecast package to include a mention of a slight chance of dry thunderstorms primarily over Monterey, Santa Cruz, and San Benito county for Tuesday afternoon. There is a surge of moisture around 600mb coupling with some elevated instability on the southwestern flank of the exiting ridge. Satellite imagery already shows an area of cooler cloud tops in an area the size of Texas that the National Hurricane Center gives a 30% chance of forming into a tropical cyclone within the next 48 hours. Should this complex strengthen into a cyclone, we would likely need to make updates to the forecast, so please keep close attention to any updates regarding this.” Heads up. Fortunately, the USFS has started recon flights after these events, if it should occur.

From Martha Karstens re: Partington Fire

All,

Shortly after 09:00 this morning the Fire Brigade was paged out for a vegetation fire in Partington Cove. State Parks maintenance had seen it and reported it. They started to fight the fire with their hand tools the best they could. Brigade Captain Jon Knight was on scene very quickly with one more FF and gave an excellent size up, about a 100′ x 100′ area burning on the East side of the highway about a 1/4 mile up the canyon. All the homes up on Partington were in the cross hairs once again. We started SO in case any evacuations were needed.

As the other Brigade members arrived on scene they did an excellent job controlling the fire, and deploying a pump in the river for a continuous water supply. They were able to stop the spread in short order avoiding what could have been a devastating result had it spread up the hillside to the homes above.

This was again an example of the initial response by the Fire Brigade making a difference! We had an excellent response, with over a dozen Brigade members and 3 engines on scene and 2 water tenders cancelled enroute. USFS E17 and B12 also arrived on scene and several hours later we turned the fire area over to them. They were going to stay in the area until this evening and then come back again tomorrow to make sure there were no flare ups.

This fire was started by an illegal campfire, 2 nights ago we were paged out for 2 other campfires, one of which was cited. It is unbelievable to me why with half the state on fire anyone would think it was a good idea to have any fire.

A good job well done by all!!

Martha Karstens,
BSVFB Fire Chief

 

Fire in Partington Canyon

BSVFD called out to a spot fire in Partington Canyon. It is being extinguished, 100 by 100 spot, probable illegal camp fire, possible suspect on foot southbound near JP burns walking in Black clothing. Be on the look out and report to MCSO.

It is very windy up here, not sure about in Partington Canyon. Rain expected Thursday night (Thursday afternoon for the Sonoma Fires) and it can’t get here too soon – about 1/10 – 1/4 of an inch. Probably more up here in the higher elevations