Notice of Public Hearing
Monterey County Board of Supervisors
NOTICE is hereby given that the Board of Supervisors of the County of Monterey will hold a public hearing on Tuesday, November 17 at 1:30 p.m. to consider the following actions with regard to the Vacation (Short-Term) Rental Ordinances:
• Consider the Monterey County Planning Commission’s letter to the Board of Supervisors and draft ordinances relative to vacation (short-term) rentals in the unincorporated areas of Monterey County; and
• Provide policy direction on draft ordinances amending Monterey County Code, Titles 7, 20 and 21 relative to vacation (short-term) rentals.
The County of Monterey Resource Management Agency has prepared regulations for vacation rentals within the unincorporated area of the County. The proposed definition of vacation rentals is as follows: “T
”. The project consists of three draft ordinances for the purpose of establishing regulations, standards, and circumstances under which vacation rentals may be allowed. The purpose of the hearing is for staff to receive direction on the draft ordinances prior to staff conducting environmental review.
The draft ordinances propose to modify Monterey County Code (MCC) as follows:
• Amend Title 7, including amending Section 7.02.060 (Business Licenses) for all hotels and vacation rentals and adding Chapter 7.110 (Vacation Rental Operation Permits);
• Amend Title 20 (Coastal Zoning), including adding Section 20.64.290 (Regulations for Vacation Rentals) and amending other sections of Title 20 in relation to vacation rentals; and • Amend Title 21 (Inland Zoning) including amending Section 21.64.280 (Administrative permits for transient use of residential property for remuneration), adding Section 21.64.290 (Regulations for Vacation Rentals), and amending other sections of Title 21 in relation to vacation rentals.
Planning Commission Recommendation: On July 8, 2020, the Planning Commission held a public hearing to consider the draft ordinances and a letter from the Planning Commission to the Board of Supervisors regarding the proposed vacation (short-term) rental regulations. By a vote of 10 ayes and 0 noes, the Planning Commission recommended to transmit the Planning Commission letter and draft ordinances to the Board of Supervisors for policy direction on five
NOTICE IS FURTHER GIVEN that to minimize spread of the COVID-19 virus, and in accordance with State and local orders, electronic and/or telephonic meeting participation options will be available. The agenda for the November 17, 2020 Board of Supervisors meeting will provide information on how the public may observe and provide testimony telephonically, electronically, or in person at the Monterey Board of Supervisors’ Chambers, Government Center, 168 W. Alisal St, Salinas, CA, 93901. At least 72 hours ahead of the Board meeting, the agenda will be posted at 168 W. Alisal Street, Salinas CA and on the County website at the following address:
IF YOU CHALLENGE THIS MATTER IN COURT, YOU MAY BE LIMITED TO RAISING ONLY THOSE ISSUES RAISED IN TESTIMONY AT THE PUBLIC HEARING DESCRIBED IN THIS NOTICE OR RAISED IN WRITTEN CORRESPONDENCE
The use, by any person, of residential property for transient lodging where the term of occupancy, possession, or tenancy of the property by the person entitled to such occupancy, possession, or tenancy is, except as provided herein, for a period of thirty (30) consecutive calendar days or fewer, counting portions of calendar days as full days.
Vacation Rental includes Commercial Vacation Rentals and Limited Vacation Rentals. Vacation Rental does not include a bed &breakfast facility, hotel, motel, hostel, inn, roominghouse, boardinghouse, rooming or boarding.
key policy areas the Commission identified as requiring careful consideration and direction by
the Board :
a) Affordable housing; b) Support, monitoring and enforcement; c) Character and intensity; d) Visitor serving unit caps; and e) Unique neighborhoods.
The outcome of the Board’s policy direction to staff will allow staff to finalize the project description to be used for environmental analysis.
DELIVERED TO THE BOARD OF SUPERVISORS AT OR PRIOR TO THE PUBLIC HEARING.
TO SUBMIT COMMENTS:
We welcome your comments on this matter. To submit your comments by e-mail, please send a complete document including all attachments to: RMAcomments@co.monterey.ca.us. To submit your comments in hard copy, please send a complete document including all attachments to the name and address below.
FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION CONTACT:
Melanie Beretti, RMA Property Administration/Special Programs Manager Monterey County Resource Management Agency
1441 Schilling Place, 2nd Floor South, Salinas CA, 93901
(831) 755-5285 or firstname.lastname@example.org