SOLVANG, Calif. – Los Padres National Forest officials are reminding Fourth of July visitors that the possession or use of fireworks—including the “safe and sane” variety—is always prohibited in the Forest. This year-round prohibition will be strictly enforced throughout the holiday weekend.
A violation of the law could result in a $5,000 fine and/or six months in jail. In addition, anyone causing a wildfire is potentially liable for the full cost of suppressing the fire.
The Forest asks that all visitors take the appropriate precautions to prevent accidental wildfires:
· Campfires are permitted in developed campground (designated Campfire Use Sites) and outside of designated Campfire Use Sties. Campfires must always be attended by a responsible person and a valid California Campfire Permit is required to have a campfire or use of a portable stove or lantern using gas, jellied petroleum or pressurized liquid fuel outside of designated Campfire Use Sites.
· California Campfire Permits are available for free download from the Ready For Wildfire website. You must clear all flammable material for 10 feet in all directions from your camp stove, have a shovel and water available nearby, and ensure that a responsible person always attends the stove when it is in use.
- Smoking is prohibited except within an enclosed vehicle, building, or developed campground.
· Internal or external combustion engines require properly installed, functional spark arresters. This requirement is in effect year-round.
· Avoid parking vehicles on grass, as hot engines can ignite dry vegetation.
· Contact the Ranger Station nearest your destination for the latest conditions.
As always, the Los Padres National Forest reminds the public to plan ahead before visiting their local national forest and to recreate responsibly, including packing out your trash and only parking in designated areas.
Additionally, excellent tools and resources are available on the Recreate Responsibly website.
We appreciate your cooperation in keeping our national forests safe and healthy for everyone’s use.