Photos of crane being used for Monday’s demolition. It’s approximately 23 ft. wide and almost covers both lanes jno of Pfeiffer Cyn. Bridge
CORRECTED INFORMATION IN BLUE (I underlined it)
SR-1 FULL CLOSURE CONTINUES–RAGGED PT (SLO PM 72.87) TO JUST SOUTH OF PALO COLORADO (PM 61.5) WITH NEXT OPPORTUNITY FOR LOCALS AND RESUPPLY/DELIVERIES ON MONDAY, MARCH 13 AT 10 AM**.
**Deliveries to Big Sur were made today, Friday, March 10. The stabilized roadway at Paul’s Slide (PM 21.6) is limited to vehicles weighing 35,000 lbs.; this can accommodate a truck with 3,000 gallons of propane. The maximum vehicle length is 30 feet. The delivery vehicles met at Ragged Point at 10 am to be escorted north by a Caltrans vehicle. There is a flagger at Ragged Point checking I.D.’s for locals and allowing delivery vehicles through. The next opportunity for deliveries will be on Monday, March 13, Wednesday, March 15 and Friday, March 17 at 10 am each day. Delivery vehicles can head south unescorted once deliveries are made as there should be minimal northbound traffic.
As of today, Friday, March 10, locals only will have 24/7 access from Ragged Pt. to the Big Sur Deli with local I.D. until further notice.
The school bus will be allowed to cross Paul’s Slide as of today, March 10 and continue crossing until further notice.
*IMPORTANT NOTE – CALTRANS PFEIFFER CYN. BRIDGE (PM 45.5) UPDATE:
· DUE TO EXTREME SAFETY CONCERNS AND THE BRIDGE’S DYNAMIC INSTABILITY, EVERYONE needs to STAY CLEAR and not get within 100 feet of either side of the bridge. This closure will be enforced.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Any remaining vehicles in the large turn-out just north of Pfeiffer Canyon Bridge have been towed to the large “secure” parking lot at the MAF as of TUESDAY, MARCH 7.
· Drilling continues and Caltrans geotechnical and bridge experts from around the state are working as quickly as possible toward the bridge replacement. Drilling investigation findings are targeted for Friday, March 17.
· On the maintenance side, Caltrans is continuing to make progress with the slides to regain as much access from the south as possible. We are also working to keep the roadway passable from the north to just north of the Pfeiffer Canyon Bridge—for locals only. Highway 1 is scheduled to open to the public from Carmel and north, to just north of the Big Sur Station (PM 46.35) next Thursday, March 16 as of 9 am.
*BUSINESSES REMAIN OPEN*
Locals may travel in a truck, SUV or van 24/7 as of today, Friday, March 10:
1) between Ragged. Pt. and Big Sur Deli (PM 45.3) and
2) between just north of Pfeiffer Cyn Bridge and Carmel.
Another update regarding the Highway 1 Big Sur Coast will be provided around mid-day on Friday, March 10 or sooner if conditions change.
NOTE: For information on emergency services only (not Caltrans road inquiries) for the Big Sur Coast, you may contact Gerry Malais, Mon. Co. OES via email at: email@example.com or Maia Carroll, Mon. Co. OES PIO at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone at (831) 796-3092.
Susana Z. Cruz nature-flower-blue-motif
Caltrans District 5
Public Information Office