SR-1 Full Closure—Ragged Pt (SLO PM 72.87) to the Multi-Agency Facility “MAF”(MON PM 46.35). Please note changes since yesterday below:
· Yesterday, we indicated that Friday would be the last day to resupply from the south, but there will be another chance on Monday, March 20th between 10 am and 3 pm.
· Permanent restoration of the road at Paul’s Slide is scheduled to begin next week.
· During this construction at Paul’s slide, residents will have limited access—possibly a half-hour window in the morning and the evening—but unfortunately, the school bus and resupply/deliveries will not be allowed to pass at any time.
· Work will performed 24/7 as conditions allow, and updates will continue to be provided.
· Nacimiento-Ferugson Road might be open to the public within days. An update will be provided as soon as possible.
· RESIDENTS ARE ENCOURAGED TO RESUPPLY TOMORROW, OR MONDAY AT THE LATEST.
Mud Creek (PM 8.9):
· The roadway continues to deteriorate as slide activity continues daily. Further updates about the ability to pass through this section will be provided as the slide stabilizes.
· For now, local access will continue to be allowed.
Paul’s Slide (PM 21.6):
· As noted above, permanent restoration of the road at Paul’s slide will require full closure.
· For Friday’s and Monday’s opportunity to resupply, access is limited to vehicles weighing 50,000 lbs., with a maximum vehicle length of 30 feet. There is a flagger at Ragged Point checking I.D.’s for residents and allowing delivery vehicles through.
· The school bus will be allowed to cross Paul’s Slide through Monday.
IMPORTANT NOTE – CALTRANS PFEIFFER CYN. BRIDGE (PM 45.5):
· DUE TO EXTREME SAFETY CONCERNS AND THE BRIDGE’S DYNAMIC INSTABILITY, EVERYONE needs to STAY CLEAR and not get within 100 feet of either side of the bridge. This closure will be enforced.
Pfeiffer Canyon Bridge (PM 45.5) Demolition:
Demolition of the bridge resumed yesterday and will continue until complete. I’ve attached a couple of photos.
All business north of the Pfeiffer Canyon Bridge closure are open to the public.
· Any vehicles that were in the large turn-out just north of Pfeiffer Canyon Bridge have been towed to the large “secure” parking lot at the MAF as of TUESDAY, MARCH 7.
· Due to the nature of the construction activities, access will be subject to change on a regular basis.
· Another update regarding the Highway 1 Big Sur Coast will be provided mid-day on Friday, March 17 or sooner if conditions change.
· NOTE: For information on emergency services only (not Caltrans inquiries) for the Big Sur Coast, you may contact Gerry Malais, Mon. Co. OES via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or Maia Carroll, Mon. Co. OES PIO at email@example.com or via phone at (831) 796-3092.
Susana Z. Cruz nature-flower-blue-motif
Caltrans District 5
Public Information Office