Fire restrictions lowered on Los Padres National Forest
GOLETA, Calif.— Rainfall amounts across Los Padres National Forest have provided sufficient moisture levels to reduce Forest fire restrictions on the forest from Level IV to Level I effective immediately.
Under the reduced fire restrictions, campfires and charcoal barbeques will be allowed in all areas of Los Padres National Forest. A California Campfire Permit, available free of charge, is required to build a campfire outside of a designated Campfire Use Site. A list of Campfire Use Sites and information about how to acquire a campfire permit is available at all Los Padres National Forest offices.
Visitors who construct wood or charcoal fires outside of designated Campfire Use Sites also must abide by the following rules:
· Clear all flammable material for a minimum of five feet in all directions;
· Have a shovel available for preparing and extinguishing the fire;
· Have a responsible person in attendance at all times;
· Extinguish the fire with water, using the “drown, stir and feel” method.
Prohibitions on smoking and target shooting in Los Padres National Forest are also being lifted.
The following fire restrictions will remain in effect:
· Spark arresters are required on all off-highway vehicles, chainsaws, and other internal combustion engines and equipment;
· A permit is required for all welding, grinding, cutting, or use of explosives;
· Tracer ammunition is prohibited at all times;
· Fireworks are prohibited in Los Padres National Forest at all times and in all places.
Forest visitors are encouraged to call the local Ranger Station for more information on conditions and restrictions.
Santa Barbara Ranger District – (805) 967-3481
Ojai Ranger District – (805) 646-4348
Mt. Pinos Ranger District – (661) 245-3731
Santa Lucia Ranger District – (805) 925-9538
Monterey Ranger District – (831) 385-5434
Please make sure you have your permit for this years 2017-2018 season, you do need to fill out a permit for each season.
Also, after confirming it is a burn day by calling 800-225-2876, please remember to call the 667-2113 number if you wish to burn and leave your name, location of your burn and a call back number. Please advise your neighbors if you are burning and never leave your burn unattended.