For your information: Monterey County Public Works will be removing the temporary bridge at on Palo Colorado Canyon Road at Rocky Creek later today, after 4:30 this afternoon due to the upcoming stormy weather. The bridge may not be replaced until at least Friday, February 10th.
The National Weather Service has issued a Flash Flood Watch which includes the Monterey Bay region. A prolonged period of moderate to locally heavy rain is expected across the north bay and along the coastal ranges of the central coast from late tonight into Tuesday. The combination of saturated soils and heavy rainfall will result in excessive runoff into area streams and rivers as well as localized flash flooding.
Photos from this weekend of: 1) Temporary Mesh Netting installed at Big Creek/Cow Cliffs (Sat-PM 28.5); 2) Rock fall at Lucia (Sun-PM 23); Rock fall at Paul’s (Sun-PM 26.10); and Partington Ridge (this am—PM 38.6)
The weekend’s inclement weather gave us various small slides at multiple locations, but thankfully and diligently, we have been able get the roadway clear and provide good news for tomorrow morning, weather permitting.
EFFECTIVE TOMORROW MORNING, TUESDAY, FEB. 7 AT 7 AM (WEATHER PERMITTING):
*DUE TO MORE SLIDE MATERIAL AT PAUL’S SLIDE (PM 21.6), All Motorists may travel north on Hwy. 1 from Cambria to Limekiln Creek Bridge (PM 21.3) or south on Hwy. 1 from Carmel to Lucia (PM 23).
*If you have been following our updates, you know we have dealt with various challenges, below is the status:
1) Mud Creek (PM 8.8)—continues with drilling taking place and daytime one-way traffic control (flagging). However, slide material continues to come down. Expect 20-30 minute delays.
2) The culvert has been replaced/repaired at PM 14.4 and is no longer covered with steel plates just north of Sand Dollar Beach (PM 13.85).
3) At Paul’s Slide (PM 21.6), although we have a temporary stop sign and eventually a traffic signal—MORE MATERIAL IS COMING DOWN AND THERE IS STILL A FULL CLOSURE AT PAUL’S. (see photo).
4) There was a small slide at Lucia (PM 23) this weekend, but has been cleared. (see photo)
5) Temporary mesh netting took place this Saturday at Big Creek/Cow Cliffs (PM 28.35), allowing the roadway to open at this location. (see photo)
6) There was a slide this morning at Partington Ridge (PM 38.6), necessitating the roadway to close at Fuller’s but has been cleared and will be open to traffic. (see photo).
The roadway is not passable between PAUL’S SLIDE (PM 21.6) and LUCIA (PM 23).
Thank you for your patience and understanding. Our Maintenance, Geotech and Construction crews continue to work collaboratively and diligently, as much as safely possible in response to these rock/mudslides.
Another update will be provided on around tomorrow, Tuesday, Feb. 7 afternoon, or sooner if conditions change.
Susana Z. Cruz nature-flower-blue-motif
Caltrans District 5
Public Information Office
DURING DAYTIME HOURS TODAY, MONDAY, EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY
*DUE TO VARIOUS SMALL SLIDES AT MULTIPLE LOCATIONS INCLUDING A NEW ONE AT PARTINGTON (PM 38), Hwy 1 will remain closed from Ragged Pt (SLO 72.87) and extend to Fullers (Mon PM 42) TODAY until clean up and assessment can be made.
*Locals may have limited access.
Another update will be provided later this afternoon, or sooner if conditions change.