Storm Watch, 2/11, part II

10:00 pm – rain has continued on and off for the past 3 hours, heavy at times. Also, I have had email “issues” all afternoon and evening. Hopefully, it will clear up in the am. I will post rain totals and season totals at my usual time.

7:00 pm – rain began, also windy, as well as what MAY be distant thunder. Unsure of latter at this point.

This afternoon’s forecast discussion just released, and it looks to be a doozy. Boy, are we in for it.

SNOW LEVELS WILL DROP THURSDAY NIGHT INTO FRIDAY MORNING. WITH 
AMPLE MOISTURE TO USE AND SNOW LEVELS CRASHING DOWN TO 2000 FEET 
A SNOW ADVISORY WAS ISSUED FOR THE NORTH BAY... EAST BAY... 
AND SANTA CRUZ AREAS OVER 2000 FEET. 2 TO 4 INCHES ARE EXPECTED 
BETWEEN 2000 AND 3000 FEET WITH UP TO 6 INCHES OVER 3000 FEET.

MORE INTERESTING IS WHAT IS SHAPING UP FOR THE WEEKEND AS 
ANOTHER LOW TAKES AIM ON OUR AREA. BOTH THE GFS AND ECMWF 
HAVE BEEN IN GOOD AGREEMENT WITH THE PLACEMENT OF THE LOW 
AND SHOW MOISTURE STREAMING IN FROM THE SOUTHWEST. WITH PW 
VALUES FORECAST TO BE UP TO AN INCH AND DYNAMICS LOOKING 
VERY FAVORABLE THIS COULD TURN OUT TO BE QUITE A WET SYSTEM. 
AFTER A CALL WITH RFC...WENT WITH QPF VALUES OF 2 TO 3 INCHES 
FOR HIGHER TERRAIN OVER THE NORTHERN HALF OF THE CWA WITH UP 
TO 4 INCHES OVER HIGHER TERRAIN FOR THE SOUTHERN HALF OF THE 
CWA. SINCE THIS WILL BE HITTING JUST AFTER SEVERAL STORM SYSTEMS 
THIS WILL NEED TO BE CLOSELY MONITORED FOR HYDROLOGICAL CONCERNS. 
PERSONS AROUND THE BURN AREAS SHOULD DEFINITELY FOLLOW THE UPCOMING
FORECAST PACKAGES.

Budget deal?

Hold off on the panic re the State Park not reopening as planned for Memorial Day. The Sacramento Bee is reporting today that a deal has been reached, involving both taxes and spending, and a vote is expected on Friday. Of course, Friday may tell the story differently, so all we can do is wait for Friday, at this juncture. No indication from the story about furloughs, which has closed MAF on the 1st and 3d Fridays of the month.

Sorry to go back and forth between Storm Watch and Budget Watch. Please read the post immediately following, if you have not done so, as we have some potentially serious weather headed our way.

Storm Watch, 2/11

8 am – Oops, slept in. Heavy rain between 3 am and 4 am, but that is all I heard. Woke me up, and that’s why I overslept. Rain gauge indicates 1/2 inch of rain received from this early morning storm.

NOAA forecast discussion is warning of a rather large system, bringing considerable snow Thursday night or Friday morning. Here is what they have to say:

NEXT COLD FRONT TO REACH THE REGION LATE THURSDAY NIGHT OR EARLY
 FRIDAY MORNING. THIS COLD FRONT LOOKS POTENT WITH STRONG COLD
 ADVECTION BEHIND THE FRONT. 700 MB TEMPS STILL AROUND -14 WITH SNOW
 LEVELS DOWN TO AT LEAST 2000 FEET ON FRIDAY. AREAS ABOVE 2500 FEET
 COULD GET SEVERAL INCHES OF SNOW OUT OF THIS EVENT.

Also, this hazardous watch. I don't know about you guys, but I am
hunkered down until next Tuesday.
MUTIPLE STORM SYSTEMS WILL SPREAD RAIN ACROSS THE AREA OVER THE
NEXT SEVEN DAYS. THERE IS INCREASING CONCERN THAT SIGNIFIGANT
RAINFALL MAY OCCUR IN AT LEAST ONE OF THE STORMS WHICH COULD CAUSE
HYDROLOGICAL PROBLEMS. ANYONE NEAR BURN AREAS...SMALL STREAMS...OR RIVERS
SHOULD CLOSELY MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS.