Well, after a sending a note to Susana about the construction at Willow Creek, it is now included on the official release. Thank you Susana! BTW, she has no way of knowing this, but flagging is sporadic, depending on the work being done. There was none today. It *is* a VERY confusing realignment of the roadway and flagging situation, even for someone who has been driving it for over 20 years. And what I REALLY like about this news release, is we are given some warning about projects coming up next month. Way to go, Suzanne!
“Date: Wednesday, June 16, 2010
District: 5 – Santa Barbara, SLO, Monterey, Santa Cruz and San Benito Counties
Contact: Susana Z. Cruz (Bilingual) or Colin Jones
Phone: (805) 549-3138 or (805) 549-3189
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
HIGHWAY 1 CARMEL TO CAMBRIA PROJECT UPDATE
• Roadwork continues on a retaining wall project near Gamboa Point, three miles north of Lucia. A temporary signal is in place with work expected to be complete in July. Work hours are Mondays through Fridays from 7 am to 5 pm.
• Traffic continues down to one lane just south of Lucia with a temporary signal in place to perform slide stabilization and exploratory drilling. Work hours are Mondays through Fridays from 7 am to 5 pm with completion at the end of summer. Plans are being developed for a retaining wall with construction of the wall scheduled to begin this fall.
• The temporary signal about two miles south of Lucia at Pitkins Curve/Rain Rocks for the bridge/rockshed project remains in operation 24/7 and the project is expected to be complete in winter
• Construction of a crib wall and drainage improvements is taking place near Gorda at Willow Springs Creek. One-way reversing traffic control is in effect Mondays through Thursdays from 6 am to 4 pm and Fridays from 6 am to 1 pm. Work is expected to be complete in late July.
• Slide repairs at two locations near Big Sur just north of Big Sur River Bridge and 2 miles north of San Juan Higuera Creek Bridge is scheduled to begin in early July. More information on traffic control will follow. Work expected to be complete in September.
• Pavement overlay is scheduled to begin in early July about 12 miles south of Big Sur from just north of Burns Creek Bridge to south of Partington Ridge Road. One way traffic control will be in effect from 6 am to 4 pm Mondays through Thursdays and 6 am to 1 pm on Fridays. Work is expected to be complete in October.
• Construction of rock slope protection near Lucia at Limekiln Creek Bridge is scheduled to begin in early July and complete in September. Not much traffic control is anticipated but if needed, it will be in Conjunction with the Pitkins project. The traffic light at Pitkins will be turned off and motorists will be piloted Through both projects. More information will follow.”
Kudos to Cal-Trans and to Susana for keeping us all up-to-date, and particularly for giving us a “heads-up” on the upcoming projects for next month. Nice job!