SR-1 FULL CLOSURE CONTINUES–RAGGED PT (SLO PM 72.87) TO JUST SOUTH OF PALO COLORADO (PM 61.5).
*IMPORTANT NOTE – CALTRANS BRIDGE ASSESSMENT FINDINGS/BIG SUR COAST PLANS:
· A BRIDGE INSPECTION WAS MADE YESTERDAY, TUESDAY, FEB. 21. THE BRIDGE HAS MOVED SEVERAL FEET SINCE SATURDAY, FEB. 11, AND IS DAMAGED BEYOND REPAIR—The bridge will not re-open to anyone—DUE TO EXTREME SAFETY CONCERNS AND THE BRIDGE’S DYNAMIC INSTABILITY, EVERYONE needs to STAY CLEAR and not get within 100 feet of either side of the bridge. This closure will be enforced.
· Drilling is scheduled to begin, weather permitting, either Thursday or Friday for approximately two weeks. Caltrans geotechnical and bridge experts from around the state are working as quickly as possible toward the bridge replacement. Drilling investigation findings are targeted for March 17.
· On the maintenance side, with a couple of days of dry weather our goal is to make progress with the slides to regain as much access from the south as possible. We are also working to keep the roadway passable from the north to just north of the Pfeiffer Cyn Bridge. Yesterday was no exception when multiple slides were cleared up and one lane opened at River Inn and at a recurring slide just south of Hurricane Pt (PM 57)—which is still active today but we have several pieces of equipment keeping it passable.
*BUSINESSES REMAIN OPEN*
Locals may travel in a truck, daytime only:
1) between Ragged. Pt. and Big Creek Bridge and
2) between just north of Pfeiffer Cyn Bridge and Carmel.
Another update regarding the Highway 1 Big Sur Coast will be provided around mid-morning tomorrow, Thursday, Feb. 23.
NOTE: For information on emergency services for the Big Sur Coast, you may contact Gerry Malais, Mon. Co. OES via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or Maia Carroll, Mon. Co. OES PIO at email@example.com or via phone at (831) 796-3092.